Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The challenge with Java applications

Recently, I tried to use both the Gmail and Shozu applications to compare how they are to Momail's basic email service and its Flickr integration.

On my SonyEricsson 880i, my experience was poor. Both products have large fan-bases, so I was actually quite surprised. A few issues to highlight:

Gmail mobile:

1. An update had been done, so I needed download the newest version. Easy, but annoying.
2. As I live in Sweden, the application automatically chose Swedish as the default language. The problem is that I am not a native speaker, and would prefer it to be in English. Can't figure out where to change the language.
3. I'm unable to forward HTML mails. The forwarded mail appears blank. Addressing a forwarded mail is not easy either.

Shozu:
1. I have to admit, but biggest challenge with Shozu is that I am still unable to use it (after a few tries). I've registered my Flickr and Blogger accounts in order to upload using Shozu, but the application just keeps "transferring". Neither account is that large, so I am surprised it takes so long. In the meantime, I'm unable to do anything with the service. Any suggestions would be helpful.

How Momail improves upon these issues:

1. Momail is a server side solution. Therefore, any updates are invisible to the consumer, and thus do not require another download to update.
2. As Momail is integrated into your native handset platform, the language used for the service is the same one has you choose for your handset.
3. Granted, some HTML mails are a bit long to forward with Momail. However, the text does show in the mail, and addressing from your handset's contact list is simple.
4. Uploading and downloading photos with Momail is quick and easy. Just send an email to your favorite platform and go. Also, Momail saves up to 99% of data, so downloading your favorite photos is also quick and inexpensive.

No comments: